Brutal Turkey Mass Shooting Leaves Six Dead and Triggers Massive Police Manhunt
Posted on 05/19/26 at 13:57
- Turkey mass shooting leaves victims
- Police search for gunman
- Turkey faces new wave of violence
A Turkey mass shooting in the province of Mersin, in southern Turkey, left at least six people dead and eight others injured, according to Turkish media reports.
The attacker was identified as Metin Ö., 37.
Authorities said the suspect remains at large and is being intensely pursued by police.
According to reports, the man used a hunting rifle and a handgun during the attack.
The first killing occurred in a mountain village in Mersin.
There, the attacker fatally shot his 32-year-old ex-wife.
He later fled by car toward the city of Tarsus, located about 40 kilometers away.
Authorities have not yet disclosed the motive behind the attack.
The case has sparked concern over the recent rise in violent incidents across Turkey.
Gunman opened fire inside a restaurant
In Tarsus district of Mersin, four people were killed and eight others injured in attacks carried out with a pump-action shotgun.
Following the incident, police launched an operation to capture suspect Metin Ö., who fled the scene. pic.twitter.com/eLYy5TIvlz
— ENSONHABER (@ensonhaber) May 18, 2026
According to Milenio, after arriving in Tarsus, the attacker entered a restaurant where he was known.
Reports indicate he began firing randomly at workers and customers.
The mass shooting killed one of the Turkey restaurant’s two owners and an employee.
Several others were injured inside the establishment.
One survivor was restaurant worker Mehmet Han Topal.
The employee said the attacker entered without saying a word.
“We thought he was going to take out his phone, but he pulled out a gun.”
The statement was reported by the IHA news agency.
Topal said he tried to protect himself after hearing the shots.
You may also like: Chaos Outside Courthouse: Man Seen Fleeing ICE in California
“I ducked. He shot me.”
The employee, who was wounded in the leg, described the terrifying moment of the Turkey mass shooting.
After leaving the restaurant, the attacker continued moving through different areas while armed.
Authorities said he later killed three more people.
Among the victims was a 17-year-old teenager who was tending animals.
A truck driver standing outside his home was also killed.
The third victim was a gas station employee.
Turkey police launch large-scale manhunt after mass shooting

After the attacks, the suspect escaped by car.
Hours later, the vehicle was found abandoned in a rural area north of Tarsus.
Authorities believe the suspect fled on foot and may be hiding in nearby wooded areas.
Police launched a major search operation supported by helicopters.
The goal is to locate and arrest the attacker as quickly as possible.
So far, authorities have not released information regarding the possible motive for the killings.
Following a cabinet meeting, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan expressed condolences for the deaths.
However, the Turkish president did not provide additional details about the suspect or the investigation.
The Turkey mass shooting comes amid a series of recent shootings that have raised concerns about public safety across the country.
Last month, a school shooting in the province of Kahramanmaraş left 10 people dead.
One day earlier, another school shooting injured 16 people in a nearby province.
The recent violent episodes have increased alarm over gun violence and public security in several regions of Turkey.